spamming and freedom of speech

  • Subject: spamming and freedom of speech
  • From: "H. WILLIAMS" <msbucky@home.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 04:12:28 -0400

Hosta Open Members:

I am writing this because ONE of the members of this list -( if she
cares to name herself, fine, I will not stoop to that level )- has
decided that rather than debate the merits of a topic, she prefers to
send multiple emails - different titles such as 'God loves you, maybe
not'... containing no message other than repeated posts from this list.
(Nineteen tonight alone)

Some of you disagree with my views - that's your privilege. I don't
always agree with yours.  I WILL however, defend your right to speak
your mind and state your views no matter how disagreeable they may be to
me, and respond with my own counter arguments.

It is my understanding that Freedom of Speech is a recognized right in
your country and mine. It is my further understanding that this is an
open forum. It was also my understanding that we are dealing with mature
adults here who don't stoop to such childishness. We aren't talking
about pronography, or obscene jokes, we are talking about my responses
regarding passwords, email accounts, etc, nor have I ever contacted this
person on an individual level. I have contacted this person's service
provider with a complaint.

I will be interested in hearing your views on this.

Helen Williams