Re: spamming and freedom of speech

  • Subject: Re: spamming and freedom of speech
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 11:27:09 -0400

Hi Helen,
          Since you asked...........

>I will be interested in hearing your views on this.

        I think you should read back through those E-mails you sent, and see
if you can find any views you've expressed. Particularly any concerning
hosta. Your only reason for posting them that I can see is to try and
manipulate people you don't like into anger, so they will respond to you and
you can let loose some more abuse at them.
       Most recently, in the discussion about Jim Dixon's joke postings, you
expressed no views of your own as to whether Jim should be asked to stop
posting them. You just attacked anyone who felt he should stop. Some of your
comments, particularly the one about Bob's wife "having done all those
things", were remarkable in their personal nastiness.
       You now attempt to confuse this issue as well, by saying that your
right to free speech is being violated because someone copied your own posts
back to you. You have no intention of "defending" anyone else's rights to
their opinions, and, if I remember correctly, have continually threatened to
quit this list if people continued to express views that you didn't agree
with.
        We do have Freedom of Speech in this country, and with it we have
the continuing problem of what to do with hate issuses. Should groups like
the Ku Klux Klan (mentioned by you) be permitted to openly spew their hatred
for others, with all the damage that can cause? Or should their freedoms be
restricted? Where is the line on how far you can go with verbal abuse
without being punished? The KKK is permitted to march and speak in public
places, but not permitted to disseminate literature in schools.
       Often these issues are settled in civil court here in the U.S. with
the victims suing the perpetrators for damages. Some of your more vicious
attacks would easily qualify as abusive and slanderous. I think that in the
U.S., Bob would have a case against you for making those remarks about him
and his wife in a public forum. I don't know how Canada deals with behavior
like yours, but, as it is a "civilized" country, I'll bet they do deal with
it.
       If I were you, I'd consider those E-mails Dianne sent back to you a
wake-up call. Take the time to read through them and consider the things
you've said publicly. If you continue sending ones in that vein, you are
providing Bob and others with a stockpile of evidence for a lawsuit if they
choose to pursue one. If someone does sue you, you have establihed a
consistant pattern of abusive postings for a court to consider. You are
clearly in the wrong legally in this country, whatever faults our system of
government may have.

...........Bill Meyer
p.s. I like Bob, but I'm not "brown-nosing" him