Re: Breeders' Rights

Hybridizers were around for years before there was any significant return on
their labors.  And there is no reason that anyone who has a good plant can't
profit from it.  I guess there is some question as to what is a reasonable
return, but personally, I don't expect to get rich from introducing a single
plant and I've never felt that I wasn't reasonably compensated for any of the
plants I have put out.  If they were good plants, I made money, if they
weren't, I didn't deserve to make anything.

I admit that it's harder for breeders who don't have an outlet for their
plants, but the answer is to find an outlet, not to try to change the
system.  If Ran charges $100 for his plant, a nice round figure, he makes a
thousand dollars every time he sells 10 of them.  Personally I don't think
that's all that bad for what he had to do to get the plant.  It's not like
we're inventing cars that run on water here, we're just throwing a new hosta
out there for people to buy or not.

Chick