Re: virus??

  • Subject: Re: virus??
  • From: njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 20:32:53 -0400

Hi Ann,
       I use Outlook Express too and if you update it to all the latest versions it does not open the Klez attachments. I get a dozen of them a week or more and it has only opened three of them so far. I also have Norton Anti-Virus (last year's edition) which will catch any that do open before they can infect the computer. It immediately caught and quarantined the three that did open, which were apparently some new variant that can open itself despite the latest Outlook upgrades. I don't feel I have anything to worry about with these two programs, as long as I keep them up to date.
       The Klez virus has a cute little trick which changes the address in the "From" line to a random selection from the infected computer's address book. If a virus seems to have come from someone, the only person you can be sure it DIDN'T come from is the person who appears to have sent it.
                                                                     ......Bill Meyer

The problem is I use Outlook Express and it opens everything whether I want it to or not.  The only alternate I can figure is to view everything on web mail from my provider where I can either open or delete.
Gee, it had been a whole week since anyone sent me Klez.  I hate it when I go to Norton every morning before I dare to get mail and see it taunt me with how brief a time I've been virus free.
Ann James