RE: What did you do in your garden today?picked millipedes

I have had a recent problem, so I thought it amusing when I read people's
posts about what they did in their garden, it all sounded like so much fun,
and there I was picking a million millipedes off of my house (I think they
came up as a result of the three inches of rain we had) and out of every
nook and cranny in the garden.

Dan, you are an expert, maybe you can help me with this problem.

They are little, about an inch long, and they are either centi- or
milli-pedes.  They congregate together and seem to relish decaying matter
of any kind.  I have never seen such an infestation in all my life.  Is it
because of repeatedly amending the soil, or perhaps the lack of a certain
predator?  I think that since we water a lot (not really close to the
house, but in the gardens we do) and have gotten a lot of rain lately that
has helped them too.  The most annoying is that they get into the garage,
and all you hear is crunch crunch under your feet.  HELP!

Yours, covered with these bugs,

Stacy Holtzman
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Bloomington, Indiana Z5b