Re: new hosta at Walmart

  • Subject: Re: new hosta at Walmart
  • From: "Gerry/Bob O'Neill" <eoneill@attglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 21:43:20 -0400

It's a real dilemma, isn't it? And I sure don't know the answer...I have
several high quality hosta nurseries in the area, and I buy from them even
when the local Walmart has the same plants cheaper. Maybe because it is
worth something to me to know the nurserymen, to spend time with them just
talking hostas (thank you again, Mary), to have someone close with my same
soil to solve my problems. And knowing that if I buy a plant and it dies,
it's my fault, not theirs.

But I also realize that I can't support them all. It takes a lot of new
blood getting hooked on hostas to do that. And maybe WalMart helps that a
little, getting people started and wanting more, that is.

A wise man (my husband, as a matter of fact) once said, "Never invest in
anything that eats."  He's probably right. I admire all of you that invest
your lives and livelyhoods in hostas.

Gerry