Re: now I have nematodes

  • Subject: Re: now I have nematodes
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:26:04 -0500

Hi Bob,
You are an enigma.  You were being slanderous, possibly libelous, and now
you can't even leave well enough alone.  Wowser.

I'm going to post the letter, now that you've divulged what I thought was
going to be private.  I have no interest in being vindictive, but I simply
was asking for a public apology because you obviously have me mixed up with
A TOTALLY DIFFERENT EBAY SELLER!!!  And you don't seem to have any interest
in correcting your error.  You don't label your plants, you don't cross your
T's or dot your I's in your business operations, and now you are kicking
people off of your auction site yet seem to be unwilling to post any
standards by which such actions will to be taken.

I don't have any conflict with you other than you are one rash and out of
control individual.  Here you go, Mr. Axmear.  I'll be glad to return the
volley.  What the point is I don't know, but while we're airing our
greivances, the folks on the list ought to have the benefit of the entire

The context of this letter that you seem to want to make public follows:
Hi Bob,
You know, you are an interesting fellow...

We're all interesting fellows.  But let me say this about your public
negative comments.  When I bought 5 nice Hostas from you, I took the time to
drive out of my way to Waukon, IA, to meet you and to see your operation.  I
thought at the time that you offered some very kind jestures in bonus
plants, and that we had a half decent conversation while I was there.  I
learned that you are an interesting duck, but we're all interesting ducks,
so I took that with a grain of salt.

After I came home, I planted my plants and all was well, for a while.
However, long about the end of July, early part of August, I started seeing
nematode damage in three of those plants--William Lachman, was the worst,
Crayons was the next, and Color Parade suffered the least.

Now, being the scientific sort that I am, I had decided to keep that to
myself.  When the State Entomologist called this year, I told him about the
nematode damage, but declined to reveal the source of my plants.  He
pressured me rather diligently, but I refused to reveal my Iowa sources.
There were two others that I bought plants from that had similar problems
and it was a particularly wet year, so for all I know, they came from the
ground and had been there for years.   I don't know if you know this, but
you don't get nematode damage in container grown plants, at least not much,
so I haven't been too worried about the nursery stock.   I had never had
problems in my garden until last year, and so I did not want to jump to
conclusions.  So I searched for four months and found the Nemacur that you
may have heard me tell about.  And with any luck, I'll get that spread on
the garden this year and stop this infestation.

I don't know why you have it in for me, but Mister Axmear, I'm beginning to
lose some of my patience.  If you want to be publicly slanderous, or
libelous, that's up to you but I would begin to caution you that most of
what I ask for from you is just good, common business sense.  I don't know
from whence these nematodes came any more than you know who are the founding
participants in the Iowa Hosta Growers Association.  All I know is that when
I called you, you said you weren't interested.  Why you wouldn't want to
promote a professional Hosta Grower's Association in Iowa is beyond me but I
can assure you, there is as little of "me" in the Iowa Hosta Growers
Association as I can have.  It might have been my idea but it's entirely too
much work to do all on my own.  Thus my invitation.

I don't know what you have against professional affiliations, but from my
perspective, they are a very good idea.  You learn alot and you help the
industry be self-policing.  Maybe if you'd join one, you could get some

I'm not interested in picking a public fight with you.  If you want to do
that, it's your perogative.  It's a free country.   I think my eBay history
speaks for itself and I'd like a public apology.  Here, I'll make it easy
for you.
You'll see that your comments are libelous and I request that you cease and

Hosta la Vista!

Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman at http://HostaHaven.com
1250 41st Street
Des Moines, IA 50311-2516
eBay Search: <Hosta HH>

RE:>>I wonder if this could be because of the conflicts we seem to have.
No... but it could be part of the CAUSE simply because you seem to have no
intention of taking any action to cure the problem.  You were invited to
join the IHGA, but declined because you don't have any time.  I have looked
for your name on the IHGA, but don't seem to have any time for that either.
All you seem to be interested in doing is making groundless accusations at
people with no basis in fact and refuse to apologize when you have made
obvious errors.  With friends like you, who needs enemies?

Hosta la Vista!

Andrew L.