Lower the beds , changed from Re: What's Looking good?

  • Subject: Lower the beds , changed from Re: What's Looking good?
  • From: Ray W <wie1086@oh.verio.com>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 20:03:45 -0400

This comment sparks something I have noticed lately in my garden. I have an area that is low and the water seems to puddle there. The plants are thriving. Really starting to rethink the "raised bed" ideals. Water follows gravity to the lowest point and we raise our garden beds. This year, plants being added are going to be placed at a slight depression in my beds (except for the minis) to help keep the moisture where it is needed.

One bed along the back of my house, I have removed plants, removed about 6" of soil (leaving it still raised 6") and transplanted all. Due to growth and height issues, they needed to be moved around anyway. Time will tell if plants respond better in that bed.

RAY

This year my hostas by the low land are just doing wonderfully. With all that
moisture and being Sun and Substance relations, their leaves are just huge.
Lady Isobel Barrett is also taking off this year.
Paula
Blaine,Mn
Where the rain last night
washed off all the bug stuff I sprayed.