Re: library isn't working right now

  • Subject: Re: library isn't working right now
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:12:02 -0500

Hi Bob,
Here's a thought.  Perhaps you could run some mirrored sites so that your
primary site doesn't get all of the traffic.  I might be coerced into being
one of the mirrors and could run this on one of my servers that isn't doing
all that much.  This would essentially offload traffic to a totally
different connection, keeping the throughput lower at your primary server
site.   I also have an extra IP address that I would "rent" at a very
nominal rate, or I could exchange for pictures of Hostas, or even for
advertising (and others could advertise and this would defray the costs of
the connection).

Qwest, my DSL provider, makes me have 5 static addresses at a minimum and I
only use three currently.  The most I could ever conceive of using is four
so it is likely that that IP address would always be available.  To drop in
a server here is as simple as plugging in the ethernet card to the hub,
setting up Linux, Apache and a firewall, transferring the data and you're up
and running.

If you wanted to have your very OWN server in place, then the DSL connection
should provide adequate speed except at peak times.  Personally, I think the
idea of mirroring might work out well.  You COULD set up a home page that
would ask people to route themselves to different servers based on a scheme,
such as by their last name, although that wouldn't be as elegant.  With this
kind of a design, your primary server only loads the index.html page but
various others servers actually serve up the pics.

Haven't done the mirroring thing personally but I can't conceive that it
would be all that difficult.  Let me know if you're interested.  I'm into
Hostas, and computers and have some excess capacity that might be available.

Andrew Lietzow
The ACL Group, Inc.
andrewl@microanswers.net