Re: Eagle's Nest

  • Subject: Re: Eagle's Nest
  • From: Alex Waterhouse-Hayward <alexwh@wimsey.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 00:30:43 -0400

I am confused:

Item 1.

Not unexpected, as they are borne from the deep green center.  They are on
short stout scapes ( about 12 to 14 inches tall, and have clusters of waxy
near white blooms.
Thanks
Ran
>*****************************

Item 2.

A good example is Hosta Eagles Nest, a sport of Sum and Substance.  The two
cell layers differ from one another in growth and color.  Plants from the
center of the leaf are dark green, much thicker, more shiny than S & S, and
grow much more slowly.  Plants from the edge of the leaf are Sum and
Substance.  Clearly the center of the leaf of Eagles Nest has some kind of
genetic alteration, possibly it is to a polyploid.

Jim Anderson

Jim, I believe you were the gentleman with the suspenders at the scientific
meeting at the convention. Since I have never seen Hosta 'Eagle's Nest' I am
confused by the above descriptions of the plant. Is this a plant whose outer
leaves are lighter in colour while the inner ones are greener and heavier in
substance? Or are we talking about leaves that are thicker and greener in
the middle while lighter on the outside edges?

Alex Waterhouse-Hayward