Re:Tell-Tale TC

>How does one tell whether a purchased plant is TC or grown from divisions?
>And I'm looking forward to the answers to Sheila's question about TC vs.
>division..
>
>Gerry:
   The younger TCs are pretty easy to spot. There is much more fine root
mass, sometimes multiple plants which can be carefully separated without
cutting, and a clearer symmetry to second year TC plants.Divisions are
often asymmetrical for a few months. Of course there is no confusing a
division taken from a mature plant,  and you do  initially have a cut crown
or bud to indicate that it is a division. None of that on TC. A TC grown on
for 2 or 3 years becomes  impossible to identify as such, although there
are some arguments about growth rates  and the appearance of mature
leaves.With hostas which are fairly stoloniferous it might be a lot more
difficult to make a determination as to whether it is a "cutting" or TC.
The clue will almost always be the fine root mass.I would be interested to
know what professional TCers would have to say.
Glen Williams