Re: request for advice

Rob Eckenrod wrote:
> Dear hosta growers,
> Rob Eckenrod, Johnstown, PA here.
> I'm a new member and just getting started growing hosta.
> Bought a new house in Feb. and have a nice shaded, landscaped area
> ready to populate. I know I'm getting a late spring start but we
> just had our 3rd child on May 10th so I've been kinda busy.
> Would appreciate any help/feedback on the following.
> I'm looking to start my collection with the top 20 from the AHS poll
> and the Hosta's of the year. Other recommendations/donations welcomed.
> What catalogs do you recommend I send for?
> Obvviously looking for ones with good pictures.
> What mail order sources do you recommend?
> Good prices, nice size plants etc.
> Anyone out there doing any trading?
> I don't have any hosta to trade but I do grow daylilies and have
> lots of computer stuff, (hardware/software) to trade.
> I also make web pages if anyone's interested.
> Would be interested in any individuals selling hosta to contact me.
> Anyone know of any clubs in the western Pennsylvania area?
> Thanks in advance, Rob
You have a fine club, not to far away .  It is the Pittsbutgh Daffodil &
Hosta Society.  Our Western New York Hostas Society , has many
associations with them and in fact we have an annual meeting togather.
If you like , I will send you our catalog. Post your complete address.
For any individual, in any one location, the "top twenty" may not be the
best goal.  The reason is, that the poll is drawn from (by necessity)
the whols nation.  That means that some of the plants there may not be
the best for your site.  One of the first things to learn about hostas,
is that they are not all created equal!  Some do better in dry shade.
some on more sun.  Some in in denser shade. Some will tolerate high
moisture, some will not.  some are very slug resistant. some are not.
Some get a lot bigger than the general specs. would have you believe and
there is more!  None of this is necessarly reflected in the "popularity
poll"  You should visit some gardens in this region and look at mature
plants.  I can help you with info on spicific plants, as can many others
Best of luck (On an addtional message, I will post our web site)
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens
10749 Bennett Rd.
Dunkirk,  NY 14048  ( Zone 6 on Lake Erie)