Re: Hostas in sun; Convention

RonnieEA@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 6/27/99 9:24:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> backhoe@scan.missouri.org writes:
> <<   I would like information on hosta which grow best in a lot of sun. Is it
>  the variegated ones, ie.. albo marginata, or green honeybells? The info is
>  for a friend of mine who has an area he wants to plant with hosta. The bed
>  gets full sun until approximately noon each day. Any help would be
>  appreciated. Thanks, Jean >>

In addition to the answers already sent by others, I strongly recommend
H. 'Regal Splendor' for a spot with morning, or even mid-day sun.  My
two plants get full sun from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.  I just went out
and measured them, a la Mark Zilis: the biggest plant is 37" tall and
53" wide; the two plants' leaves have a very pleasing gray-green aspect
(of course they're pleasing to me  --  they're my plants).

(Many robin folks have been offering their opinions on the convention)

The convention gardens, the vendors' plants, and the cut-leaf entries
were outstanding.  All those Michiganders and friends from nearby states
and provinces who have ever worked on "Hosta Hillside" at Hidden Lakes
should be very, very proud.  What a wonderful treasure for all of us!
(And we didn't even get to see the greatest collection of dwarf conifers
in the world!)  Three of the private gardens rank among the ten best I
have ever seen (I must quickly add the disclaimer that of course I have
not seen all the fine gardens in the country and the world.)

The auction lasted too long, again  --  too many plants.  I'm sure Don
will solve this, perhaps by offering 20-30 plants at each of three
silent auctions instead of just 5-7.  Having 8-12 modestly-priced plants
of several cultivars, for new attendees as well as for all of us, was a

The business meeting Friday night was unpleasant and disappointing (I
choose my words carefully; the preceding is an understatement).  It's
unfortunate to make an important decision by a vote of 114-113 without
checking to see if all who voted were in fact members of AHS.  Also, my
recollection of Robert's Rules is that a motion to table is not
debatable, and must be voted upon immediately after it is seconded.

All of us AHS members, whether present at the convention or not, and
whether on one or the other side of Friday's issue, wish the best for
the future of AHS; it may take time, but I'm sure we can reach greater
accord.  I shall do my best to change the By-Law Amendment procedure to
one which includes written amendment proposals mailed to members in late
winter or early spring with printed ballots to be returned by mail
(perhaps) 60 days prior to the convention.  A bit slower pace is not too
great a price to pay for greater agreement and less rancor.

Irwin Johnson