Re: Re[2]: frost bitten hosta

Hello Bruce,

We are looking at a predicted low of 26 down here in southern DE.
Luckily no hostas grown in the ground are showing yet.  Some cultuvars
in one gallon pots I have stored in an unheated warehouse have popped up
a few inches and have been moved indoors for the night. What a pain in
the ask.

There is no doubt in my mind that growing hostas in containers is much
more labor intensive. I wonder what Bob Solberg, with all of his hostas
over wintered in cold frames does when the temperatures drop low. I am
sure many of his hostas must be up and growing. I guess the only
solution is some kind of heating system in each hoop house to keep the
temperatures above freezing.

I thought Tony was speaking on Sunday? I am a member of the Delaware
Valley Hosta Society but probably won't make this meeting. I've got too
much work to do around here this time of year and the two hour drive
each way ends up taking up the whole day.

Say hello to the gang for me,

Dan Nelson

PS. Is Tony speaking on hostas? Or marketing?

One year both the West Coast and East Coast had late frosts, after the
hosta had emerged. Dan and Preston, you may recall it about 7 years ago
here in Delaware. Lots of wilted hostas in the gardens, especially
plantaginea and montana aureo marginata.

Looking at 20 degrees tonight here in Northern Delaware, after 3 days of
60-65, but nothing has popped yet. Have to stomach Tony Avent speaking
Del Valley Hosta Society spring meeting tomorrow - will have to eat a
lunch. bruce