Fw: electricity 101 / cost to run 80 watt light

1 kilowatt equals 1,000 watts.

A kilowatt can also be referred to as a kilowatt hour. We but
electricity by the kilowatt hour. A kilowatt hour is used when an
appliance that uses 1,000 watts is used for one hour. When you say a
device uses 1,000 watts it is understood that this means it uses 1,000
watts over a period of one hour.

Four foot florescent lights use 40 watts each. 40 x 2 equals 80 watts.
The ballast in a florescent light fixture may use as much as 100 watts
to supply the 80 watts the two  40 watt lights use. This wasted 20 watts
of electricity is given off as heat and the ballast gets warm. There are
electronic ballast on the market that are much more efficient. If heat
is a problem in your environment then the electronic ballast are worth
even more of their extra cost. If you need more heat this 20 watts may
be useful.

100 watts is 1/10 of a kilowatt. If this light were on for 10 hours it
would use one kilowatt.

If you ran an 80 watt florescent(which draws 100 watts) light fixture
for 16 hours per day and your electricity cost 10 cents per kilowatt, it
would cost you 16 cents per day. 16 cents x 30 days equals $4.80 per

Find the cost per kilowatt on your electric bill and work the math.

I suggest you get a 3 prong timer(one with a ground) so that your light
will be grounded when it is plugged in. They cost a little more but they
are safer.

In other words, this is just a round about way of saying what Bob said.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7