Re: copyright?? on library photos

Chick wrote:
RE:>> I think it's safe to say that this is a theory held primarily by people who
have nothing
valuable on the web and like to get something for nothing.  Sharing information
is great, but keeping the web free and open does not require that we abandon
common sense and common courtesy, and of course, that great conservative holy of
holies, property rights.

The short of it... Hosta pix promote Hostas.  Make your money selling Hostas but give
the pictures away and don't worry about somebody making a sale from one of your
pictures; UNLESS you are a pro photographer. Then, sell your pictures on a CD-Rom,
with a license to use but all have nice bold letters explaining the copyright so when
people user your pics, you get free advertising!

The long of it......Warning:  Paradigm shift in progress.  When the web was but an
infant, people yearned to increase communications by implementing standards that were
INTERNATIONAL.  They began to write programs that contained source code, and they
began to distribute this code freely all over the world.  Major players emerged in
this Internet age and they make many resources available at no charge to the user.
Their services or books may be expensive, but the base software system itself is
free.  If one can figure out how to download it, you'll see powerful results without
shelling out one nickel.

Each of us receives MAJOR benefits from this software revolution every day we're on
the net.  Open source software is what is helping to change the way the world
computes and it is indeed a paradigm shift on how software is developed and

For example, about 60% of the world's web servers run on Apache software
(http://www.apache.org/).  It's freely distributed.  I don't know how many people use
Perl (http://www.perl.org/) or Linux (http://www.linux.org/info/index.html) but some
estimate it is at least 16,000,000.

And sendmail? (http://www.sendmail.org/)
A 1998 survey of SMTP servers (that means mail servers) conducted by Dr. Daniel
Bernstein at the University of Chicago revealed that 76 percent run sendmail-80
percent when OEM and VAR copies are included. The most widely deployed alternatives
run on 2 percent or fewer of servers worldwide.

These are GREAT software packages that are FREE for the user.

My 2 cents worth is "Sell the Hostas, but give away the pictures".  And if you are a
professional photographer, you'll probably not be posting your best pics on the net
without a copyright prominently displayed on it in the first place.

Keeping the net free is keeping the net simple and that helps EVERYONE without regard
to race, creed, national origin, or socioeconomic status, etc.  It really is for the
good of all users... But if you want to copyright it, make sure the copyright notice
is prominent.

Now the distribution costs, well that's another thing.  It takes time and effort to
send it all over the planet and to keep upgrading it all the time.  Maybe you should
only post the blurred pictures... the ones with the bugs in them... and offer to sell
them a clear photo if they like what they see.

Oh, I don't know.  But I do believe digital images sell Hostas... so, thanks to
everyone who posts pictures on the Internet!  Especially in the winter time!

Andrew L.