Re: Fw: Sports--Help us

Hi Lu,
      These are some difficult questions, but I'll toss in my two cents.

> My point is, that if the International Registrar for the genus Hosta has
> issued a document stating that  H. Yippiekiya is a sport of H.Cowboy
> then by whatever means, we find out that in fact it is a sport of H. Girl
> Power, then should we not make the appropriate attempt to change the

I would say if you have information that corrects a mistake in the
registration, you should use it and note that it supersedes the

> First, why are we calling plants H. Fortunei Hyacinthina Gold Standard?
> we saying that all forunie's are hyacinthina now? If so, does the
> agree? Does the hosta scientific community agree? Yes, I know Ben's a
> scientist, but so are lots of other people. What would George Schmid say?
> any other well known and respected hosta "guru".

We hope to make a little more sense out of the fortuneis this year. They're
really kind of a big mess.
The information available on them has some clear mistakes and it won't be
easy. 'Hyacinthina' is different from the other fortuneis, so we can
probably separate its sports out and then have a look at what's left.

> Should there be an undertaking at the AHS to study the current
> and make a recommendation as to the renaming of plants?
> If I registered H. Girl Power as a sport of H. fortunei, and I'm still
> (wait, lemme check, yup still alive) should I not be consulted? Does Bob
> agree with changing the sport name?
> I'm asking these questions for two reasons. One very personal. I have a
> quest for knowledge, but I want order. I want accuracy. I want follow
> through. Now, lets all understand something. I'm not a scientist. I'm not
> hybridizer. I am not in the hosta business. I'm your every day Lu who has
> passion for hostas.

Part of the problem was the result of people being sold plants under the
wrong name, then assuming that it was what it was supposed to be when they
went to register a sport of it. Nurseries have sold batches of seedlings
under species names (and still do). Simple mistakes played a role. So did
dishonesty. It will be virtually impossible to track the relationships of
some of them. Sieboldiana 'Elegans' for one. Ventricosa for another.

> Second, we are talking about publishing a website that is going to list
> plants as sports of another, when official records indicate otherwise. You
> guys, that's a big BIG thing. Some of you are considered the elite of the
> hosta world. That to me means you want to post accurate information, no?
> shouldn't everyone agree on this concept of fortunei's being hyacinthina
> vice a versa?

As to 'Hyacinthina', we know where 'Gold Standard' came from. That plant has
been sold under that name in very large numbers for decades. If we accept
that the Walters plant is 'Hyacinthina', we can move on to the other
"fortunei" types like 'Antioch' and 'White Christmas' that are not sports of
it. Eventually when we move to DNA analysis we may find that the different
fortuneis are not even related. Until we get to DNA, we just won't know.

> I'm a proponent of the internet as a gateway into knowledge. I have
> of the Hosta Library continuing to grow. When it got started, it was a
> shadow of what it is today, AND it's only a shadow of what it will some
> become. As we raise the level of our expectations, the tools rise to meet
> them. As we learn, we become better.
> To me, Hosta Sports has that same potential. It is a very VERY important
> site. It can be a resource used world-wide to track the evolution of our
> precious hostas.
> I'm for raising it to a new level of professionalism.

I agree, but the future will bring us tools that really work. We don't have
them in our hands yet.
I think we should do the best we can with what we do have, for ultimately
that is how we are judged. Time will bring us the means to really sort them