Re: Fw: Sports--Help us

> May I suggest that you get "Hosta Sports" from species and cultivars. by
Ben.
> J. M. Zonneveld, printed in 1998.
>
> He takes the Fortulnei Hyacinthina Group from  Hyacinthina-Gold Standard
> Hyacinthina -Francee family members plus all the others in the family.

Gang,

I appreciate the info Marvin provided, but that really doesn't answer my
question. Don't get me wrong Ben, I'm not arguing whether your book is
correct or not. THAT's not my point.

My point is, that if the International Registrar for the genus Hosta has
issued a document stating that  H. Yippiekiya is a sport of H.Cowboy Wimps,
then by whatever means, we find out that in fact it is a sport of H. Girl
Power, then should we not make the appropriate attempt to change the record?

Yes, I'm opening a can of worms.

First, why are we calling plants H. Fortunei Hyacinthina Gold Standard? Are
we saying that all forunie's are hyacinthina now? If so, does the Registrar
agree? Does the hosta scientific community agree? Yes, I know Ben's a
scientist, but so are lots of other people. What would George Schmid say? Or
any other well known and respected hosta "guru".

Should there be an undertaking at the AHS to study the current registrations
and make a recommendation as to the renaming of plants?

If I registered H. Girl Power as a sport of H. fortunei, and I'm still alive
(wait, lemme check, yup still alive) should I not be consulted? Does Bob Kuk
agree with changing the sport name?

I'm asking these questions for two reasons. One very personal. I have a
quest for knowledge, but I want order. I want accuracy. I want follow
through. Now, lets all understand something. I'm not a scientist. I'm not a
hybridizer. I am not in the hosta business. I'm your every day Lu who has a
passion for hostas.

Second, we are talking about publishing a website that is going to list
plants as sports of another, when official records indicate otherwise. You
guys, that's a big BIG thing. Some of you are considered the elite of the
hosta world. That to me means you want to post accurate information, no? So
shouldn't everyone agree on this concept of fortunei's being hyacinthina or
vice a versa?

I'm a proponent of the internet as a gateway into knowledge. I have visions
of the Hosta Library continuing to grow. When it got started, it was a
shadow of what it is today, AND it's only a shadow of what it will some day
become. As we raise the level of our expectations, the tools rise to meet
them. As we learn, we become better.

To me, Hosta Sports has that same potential. It is a very VERY important
site. It can be a resource used world-wide to track the evolution of our
precious hostas.

I'm for raising it to a new level of professionalism.

Respectfully,

Lu