Re: Fw: Sports--Help us

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lu Treadway" <Hostanut@Bellsouth.net>
To: <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 1:19 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Sports--Help us
********************
Lu
I will try to deal with a couple of your points
Below
Ran
**************

> Gang,
>

> My point is, that if the International Registrar for the genus Hosta has
> issued a document stating that  H. Yippiekiya is a sport of H.Cowboy
Wimps,
> then by whatever means, we find out that in fact it is a sport of H. Girl
> Power, then should we not make the appropriate attempt to change the
record?
************************
This has been an on going problem for many years.  We know ( or at least
think we know) of many mistakes in the registration .  The overriding
decision, as to how these should be resolved, generally rests with the
"originator" or the person who placed the registration.  If someone thinks I
have a mistake in one of my registrations, ans could request the change they
thought was right, The situation would soon be chaos.  There is a provision
, provided in the system, for a change to be made subsiquent  to
registration.  This would let the Holder or orignator,  make a change for
instance , in size.  or in bloom time.  But again thet change is not
initaited by the registrar.
*****************************

> Yes, I'm opening a can of worms.
>
> First, why are we calling plants H. Fortunei Hyacinthina Gold Standard?
Are
> we saying that all forunie's are hyacinthina now?
 If so, does the Registrar
**************************
The Fortunei group is quite diverse.  One of the selections is Hyacinthina
It differs form some of the others, on having whitish backs, a general
"blue" cast and a leaf that is a bit different.  It also has been as you can
see the source of a lot of sports.
**************************
> agree? Does the hosta scientific community agree? Yes, I know Ben's a
> scientist, but so are lots of other people. What would George Schmid say?
Or
> any other well known and respected hosta "guru".

> Should there be an undertaking at the AHS to study the current
registrations
> and make a recommendation as to the renaming of plants?
***************************
Some of tht has been undertaken for the simple purpose of making things a
little more understandable.  But it takes a lot of time.  Someone has to be
paid for that.  The U of Min. is reluctant to spent the sheckles.  And David
Stevenson, has a lot of other things he is responsable for besides
registration
****************************

> If I registered H. Girl Power as a sport of H. fortunei, and I'm still
alive
> (wait, lemme check, yup still alive) should I not be consulted? Does Bob
Kuk
> agree with changing the sport name?
>
> I'm asking these questions for two reasons. One very personal. I have a
> quest for knowledge, but I want order. I want accuracy. I want follow
> through. Now, lets all understand something. I'm not a scientist. I'm not
> hybridizer. I am not in the hosta business. I'm your every day Lu who has
> passion for hostas.
>
> Second, we are talking about publishing a website that is going to list
> plants as sports of another, when official records indicate otherwise. You
> guys, that's a big BIG thing. Some of you are considered the elite of the
> hosta world. That to me means you want to post accurate information, no?
So
> shouldn't everyone agree on this concept of fortunei's being hyacinthina
or
> vice a versa?
*********************
Few would argue thet Hyacinthina is a Fortunei selection.  You are safe with
that one
**********************

> I'm a proponent of the internet as a gateway into knowledge. I have
visions
> of the Hosta Library continuing to grow. When it got started, it was a
> shadow of what it is today, AND it's only a shadow of what it will some
day
> become. As we raise the level of our expectations, the tools rise to meet
> them. As we learn, we become better.
>
> To me, Hosta Sports has that same potential. It is a very VERY important
> site. It can be a resource used world-wide to track the evolution of our
> precious hostas.
>
> I'm for raising it to a new level of professionalism.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Lu
Lu
In most cases, it going to be best to follow the "Published line"  There
will be a few exceptions, but those cae aalways easy to change.  The info on
the Color Wheel material is quite accurate, and does reflect a few
differences from the registration---but heck ---those are the Hosta
mysteries that keep this whole thing intrestion!
Thanks
Ran