Re: A moral question

  • Subject: Re: A moral question
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:05:33 -0500

Hi Narda,
       I don't think I implied that all nursery people were crooks. Some of
them are, but that's true in most walks of life. There is an unusual
situation for ornamental hybridizers in that they have no reasonably
available protection for their work.
Because they have no legal protection other than the too-expensive plant
patent, they frequently receive little or nothing from the people who
propagate and sell their plants. It is a shame of the industry just how
little of the money that has been made actually went to the people who
created the
plants.
       With most things that you buy, a percentage goes to the person who
made it, wrote it, invented it, designed it, etc. With hostas and other
plants, the originator usually sees virtually nothing in return on their
plant. The situation is improving somewhat from a truly embarassing past,
but there is still no legal protection. I think the more public business
gets the more honest it will get. If you went to Gardenwatch.com, you'll see
some real nasty businesses to deal with, but most were rated a positive
experience. Even all of Chick's seven customers went there to give
him a positive rating. :-)