Re: H. xxxxx 'Aureomaculata'

  • Subject: Re: H. xxxxx 'Aureomaculata'
  • From: Andrew Lietzow <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 18:42:39 -0500

Hello Hosta-openers,
I thought there was a plant/cultivar named <H. ventricosa 'Aureomaculata'>, and that it was a deep green with a solid, bright yellow margin, with significant piecrusting.  I looked in the Hosta Library and found only a Vent"i"cosa, which I'll assume is simply missing it's "r", but the Aureomaculata pictured is not what I was expecting to see.  It could be correct; I'm not really questioning that, but isn't there a Ventricosa Aureomaculata that looks like what I described, i.e. with a bold yellow margin?   Russ (and now Rosanne O'Harra) has such a plant (amongst the redbuds, for those familiar with his garden) and what a gorgeous thing it is, indeed.

Anyone know these Ventricosa's well or have an inkling of the plant to which I am referring? As I understand it, it may be the only known species tetraploid.  Anyone want to set me straight on that?   Okay, okay, if you're all that anxious for a crack at doing just that then I'm just going to have to look it up in the Hosta Bible.   Yepper, W. George Schmid lists H. ventricosa as, "the only natural tetraploid species in the genus with a chromosome number of 120 (2n)".  (Shouldn't this be (4n)?   If so, it's the only typo that I have found in over two years of voraciously attempting to consume its every word.)

What a treasure that book has become.  I shall treasure during the time that I am and beyond.  I don't really know how I managed to get through my first 47 years without it... Next to my "Bible" Bible, my "Hosta Bible" is the greatest piece of literary work that I own...

Anyhow, any help for this Aureomaculata question would be appreciated...

Andrew C. Lietzow, Hacker - The ACL Group, Inc.
..Also #1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com ...
...1250-41st St Des Moines, IA 50311-2516 ......
....515-274-0300 V/F 515-238-6558 Cell .........