Re: Hostas in print

  • Subject: Re: Hostas in print
  • From: BanyaiHsta@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 12:06:04 EDT

Hey guys lighten up. Delaware is the garden center of the universe - just ask Moira. The springs are glorious with the azaleas and rhodoes, wisteria and pawlonia in bloom.

She is a new gardener and garden writer - our local home-grown NewsJournal suffers from lack of good help. What do you expect from a state that has only 600,000 people in total:  a Longwood Gardens or something like that? Come on, go up to Pennsylvania if you want good garden writers.

Hostas are invasive. I have had several occasions to use Roundup on the angry hordes. Why just last week I mowed down another crop of seedlings with my mower - can't seem to kill the vermin. Not even the rabbits will eat them anymore - shot one of those yesterday too, just for good measure. Did find out that a certain relative needed some groundcover so boxed them up the "garden gift pack" and hope they don't call to complain!

Seriously, what is happening most of the time is: "they said to plant them 6-9" apart. Now look - these things are growing 2' across"

If they would stop and ask someone other than Home Depot, Lowes or KMart garden experts, they would know large hostas get large, giant get bigger, medium do grow etc. Pay attention to detail, I was taught early in life, and save yourself further misery down the road.

digging in Delaware, the small wonder state