Re: Sambacus Species and Varietes

  • Subject: Re: Sambacus Species and Varietes
  • From: Linda <falkora@smig.net>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 09:19:30 -0500

	Arnhild and others,

I wonder if the wild elderberry bushes I have growing almost like weeds in and
around our farm grove (part of which is slowly becoming my "hosta
glade") could have been brought here by Norwegian imigrants?  The
red-berried are the most invasive and the prettiest.  They are
blooming right now and the red berries
are veru pretty until the birds get them.  They like them...I've
tried them but they have no flavor...also didn't kill me!  The
black-berried ones bloom later and taste wonderful...great pies and
also a sauce for ice cream.  A lot of work because they are so tiny
and all the little stems have to be picked off.
Linda
southern Minn. (almost a little Norway...except flat as a pancake)