Re: Over-Wintering Heuchera

  • Subject: Re: Over-Wintering Heuchera
  • From: Josh Spece <jspece@sbtek.net>
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 17:57:54 -0500

> RE>> Heucherella 'Burnished Bronze' winter losses.
> I was mistaken that I had lost the whole lot of these.  Out of 36,
> I found that I have 16 that made it, not 0.  Please accept my
> correction.  However, even with about 1/2 loss, this is still too
> high.  Since Heucherella would seem to be an excellent companion plant
> to Hosta, I was hoping to find success in growing this plant.  I'll
> ask my vendor to see what they recommend but is anyone familiar with a
> more tried and proven protocol?  In general, I have found the
> Heuchera, Heucherella, and Pulmonaria ALL to be much more difficult to
> overwinter than Hostas (at least, when over-wintered in containers).

Hi Andrew,

This past winter was really tough on heauchs, for some reason.  Often
they will stay semi evergreen, but not even my large 'Palace Purples'
did this year.

The year old plants looked really bad...many were no more than a bare
stem sticking out of the pot.  They developed new leaves along the stem
and look great now.

I had very few loses.  All my heucheras over wintered in quart pots sunk
to the rim in the ground.

Not much help, but this is what worked for me.

Josh
IA
z4

--
  ~~~      In The Country Garden & Gifts       ~~~
      Specializing in Hostas and Water Gardens

                Josh's Garden Web
   http://inthecountrygardenandgifts.com/jspece/

         "There are always two choices.
        Two paths to take.  One is easy.