Re: On Stage (WasRe: Burying pots in the ground)

  • Subject: Re: On Stage (WasRe: Burying pots in the ground)
  • From: NardaA@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 08:19:12 EDT

In a message dated 5/13/01 8:09:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
eoneill@attglobal.net writes:

<< Now a question..Is
 On Stage an exceptionally slow grower?  >>

The thing that amazed me about Minnesota last year is how well certain hostas
seem to do there.  On Stage was magnificent in every garden, I took a bunch
of pictures of them.  Also, noticed that Great Expectations seemed to do well
there.  I do not notice On Stage in any gardens here in SW OH.  I did get one
last weekend and because it is a rather large plant I hope I am starting out
with the odds in my favor.

As for planting in pots, I figure that some hostas in the wild live in
crevices in rocks, I don't know which varieties do but if that is so then why
can't they live in pots in the ground.  All the hostas the were located under
my two Heritage Birches are now in pots.  The have doubled the quantity and
quality of foliage in the last year.  I tried to match the size of the hosta
to the size of pot, for instance big hostas like Big Mama went into two
gallon or larger pots.  It was a back breaking job but the hostas definitely
look much better.

Maybe growing in pots is not the idea situation but it is the best I can do
for the time being.  N.