Re: Lost Hosta......

  • Subject: Re: Lost Hosta......
  • From: "Dan Nelson" <sussextreeinc@ce.net>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:52:58 -0400

Here in southern Delaware zone 7, we got hit by some late frost. This weekend we have been doing a lot of weeding and I have been paying attention to the hostas that were damaged by frost.
 It seems that the fragrant hostas were damaged the most. I have lots of hostas that show minor damage on some of their earliest leaves. We divided a lot of hostas last fall and some or our single division hostas got melted by the frost and their dead leaves are laying on the ground dried up and paper thin. From 98% (guess) of these hostas a new flush of undamaged leaves are now unfurling and looking very healthy. A few are still not showing any signs of life but I won't give up on them for a few more weeks.
Thursday night Bill Meyer was in the area and stopped by and noted how dry it was here. Bill stated and it sounds logical to me that if hostas are low on moisture as the leaves are unfurling in the spring that they may well be smaller the whole growing season. It was time for the sprinklers anyway so out came our 8 sprinklers and they have been running steady since noon Saturday. I water about six hours to apply 1.5 inches in each area before moving the sprinklers to the next location.
Dan Nelson