Bap-10 and regarding an email Mary Chastain posted a long time ago?

  • Subject: Bap-10 and regarding an email Mary Chastain posted a long time ago?
  • From: Bill Nash <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 23:08:12 -0400

BAP-10 SPRAYING OF HOSTAS IN LATE SUMMER! ...looks like a NO'NO? ..and yes!
...that is the question:

Seems to me? ..that spraying hostas in late summer (mid to late August) in
an attempt to induce new offshoot production, can result in a negative
dwarfing of the next generation of eyes, shoots and plant's growth cycle?

TO WHIT -- last year I sprayed Great Expectations, June & Patriot.  These
were field-liners; in their second summer of growth here, after obtaining
them from a tissue culture lab.
                  No new offshoots resulted last year, and this spring the
plants are quite dwarfed; and again, are still single stemed/shoots, with
no new eyes (off shoots?).  Meanwhile, plants which were sold from these
batches to others last year, and planted in their own gardens, without any
BAP-10 treatments = all are three eyed plants <<and this is the minimum>> !!!

I recall, that Mary Chastain, reported something comparable/similar via
E-mail, when she did an autumnal BAP treatment the year before I
did?  Thought I should mention this.  I personally, will never ever do a
late summer BAP10 treatment again ..on anything!!!! ..since it looks like I
would have had at least 3 times the quantity of plants, had I not used the
autumnal treatment of BAP10?

AND ...am I wrong on my assumptions REGARDING -- what happens when you
BAP10 your hostas in late summer?  I THINK NOT!

<<just curious & wondering: WHAT Y'ALL THINKS?>>  "hehe"

:-B))
aka Bill Nash Guelph Ontario Canada