top dressing and weeds

Ray wrote:
Everywhere the leaf mold went, grass and
weeds have arisen. I hope to get them under control in the next couple
of weeks. This top dressing thing obviously didn't work.
Ahhhhh, she says!  Thanks for your post, Ray.  I think that explains why I've got some areas covered with seedlings of something this year!  I've been wondering why it happened this year and not others in these areas.  I know my compost pile doesn't heat up much at all, though the stuff still decomposes by end of summer.  I read somewhere that there are names for whether a compost pile heats up and decomposes fast or stays cold and decomposes slowly....hot pile and cold pile?? There are benefits to both methods, such as amount of nutrients in the finished compost and whether seeds are killed or not.  Anybody know about this?
Cindy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a