Re: top dressing and weeds

  • Subject: Re: top dressing and weeds
  • From: Ray W <wie1086@oh.verio.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 17:20:57 -0400

I am not sure of compost terms (hot or cold). What I am sure of (as I have been clearly reminded of by my significant other) is who threw what into the compost pile. It sounds like your pile works like mine does. If it doesn't breakdown quick enough, I till it under to get the worms closer to the product.

Cindy Johnson wrote:

Ray wrote:Everywhere the leaf mold went, grass and
weeds have arisen. I hope to get them under control in the next couple
of weeks. This top dressing thing obviously didn't work.Ahhhhh, she says!  Thanks for your post, Ray.  I think that explains why I've got some areas covered with seedlings of something this year!  I've been wondering why it happened this year and not others in these areas.  I know my compost pile doesn't heat up much at all, though the stuff still decomposes by end of summer.  I read somewhere that there are names for whether a compost pile heats up and decomposes fast or stays cold and decomposes slowly....hot pile and cold pile?? There are benefits to both methods, such as amount of nutrients in the finished compost and whether seeds are killed or not.  Anybody know about this? Cindy JohnsonWhite Bear Lake, MNzone 4a