Look-a-like hostas

  • Subject: Look-a-like hostas
  • From: "Gerry/Bob O'Neill" <eoneill@attglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 08:13:32 -0400

This is a really good discussion, guys. Thanks!

But it seems like we are focusing almost entirely on the *looks* of the
plant in deciding whether plants are the same and therefore not eligible
for registration under a new name.

Suppose I have a Piedmont Gold that throws a sport that looks exactly like
Satisfaction. I separate it and grow it on for a while next to a plant of
Satisfaction that I bought from Chick. After several years, it looks still
looks exactly like Satisfaction, but has incredible slug resistance that
Satisfaction lacks. (This is an example; I am not accusing Satisfaction of
being slug candy...but suppose it was?)

If I register this sport under the name of Gerry's Salvation, am I going to
be accused forever of registering the same plant under a different name?
Is there any consideration of noteworthy hosta traits other than looks?

Or, suppose Mary comes up with a sport of Cherry Berry that is a Marachino
Cherry look-a-like, but thrives in our hot, humid Southern climate. If she
chooses to register it as Lakeside Cherry Volunteer (inside joke) is she to
be condemned for introducing Maraschino Cherry to the trade under a new name?

Is there a place on the registration form where characteristics like slug
resistance, heat tolerance, other non-visual traits, to be listed?

And to get really picky, if a sport is by definition a somatic mutation,
how can anyone say that sports from two different plants of August Moon are
the same, especially if those August Moons were propagated by division
rather than tc??