Frozen Pips

  • Subject: Frozen Pips
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 08:54:12 -0400 (EDT)

My thanks for the suggestions concerning the frozen hosta pips.  Tonight it
is suppose to get down to  27 degrees and the wind in southern Vermont is
going  to gust to 40 mph most of the day.At least the brown magnolia
blossoms are now flitting around the yard, rather than merely looking
pathetic on the tree. I have a lot more pips up since the last freeze.
So...

I have made the rounds of paint stores and have managed to purchase 200 one
gal.paper painting pails @.25. There is a raised rim on the bottom of the
pressed paper pails. I have now poured some small amount of plaster of
paris into the underside of the pails.  The pails would not be large enough
for unfurled hostas of any real size , but do seem to fit atop most of the
pips.  I am hoping that the plaster will keep the paper pails from being
blown around. I have had it with newspapers, bags, and plastic buckets.

If this fails I will move on to begonias.A clever ad person could sell a
lot of freeze-dried hostas.

"The future isn't what it used to be.".
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.