Winter chill (Was: Re: August Moon - laying down on the job?)

  • Subject: Winter chill (Was: Re: August Moon - laying down on the job?)
  • From: "Gerry/Bob O'Neill" <eoneill@attglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 08:05:07 -0400

Thanks, George. I have checked for crown rot, cutworms, voles. Nothing there. The leaves are perfectly turgid and healthy and the rhizome firm. It just looks like the petioles are shorter, the leaves smaller than usual, and no mounding of the clump. I suppose cat squashing is not out of the question, but I would have expected some recovery by now.

Does anyone have information on the appearance of hosta that have received insufficient winter chilling? I also have an Eagle's Nest from Ran that is acting strangely. Last year it was beautiful (it's maybe 3-4 yrs old), with three crowns, saturated color, large leaves with no edge burn. This year it emerged very late and the leaves are quite pale and washed out. There are also a few distorted leaves where there is differential growth between some of the veins (similar to corrugation, but not regular across the leaf).

Again, I'm wondering if both these hostas are suffering from our unusually mild winter.