Re: tree roots

  • Subject: Re: tree roots
  • From: Len Phillips <lenphillips@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 13:57:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Barbara,  I live in cold New England and I leave an inch or two on all
my hostas in pots.  I have noticed water on the top of the pot this past
mild year especially however, since the ground is frozen it is not a
problem.  When the thaws begin in spring, the black plastic heats up
quicker than the ground, so the water runs down the side and out the drain
holes at the bottom.  That's why lifting or twisting the pots in the fall
is a good idea to ensure good drainage in the pot in addition to having a
well drained soil.

=====
Len Phillips
Editor of Hosta Magazine