invasives-another take

On Thu, 29 May 2003 02:01:03 -0500, some mardy inna cardy wrote:

>"I  have made some major mistakes in choices of companion plants for my
>hostas. I have selected some which initially made great "settings" for my
>hostas, but in 2 or 3 years had choked out some of my treasures. I would
>interested in two lists of companion plants.

I'd like to propose a different slant on this question. I think this
applies more to other perennials rather than hostas but essentially to
all plants: that, unless you're talking plants that propagate the way
mints and bamboo does, by vigorous underground runners, any particle
of which left remaining in the ground will turn into new plants, any
invasive plant can be kept under control by rigidly described limits
of allotted plant space and ruthless culling.

Me, I'm terrible at culling. I'm so grateful anything grows! And I
think many of us reel that way and so find tossing out perfectly good
plants a hard thing to do. In consequence, my garden's always
suffering from overcrowding. All over my garden, perfectly civilised
plants are battling for sun and soil space!

Gosh, I've got to get out there. . .

Melis