Re: Hosta Wheels

Dear Lu,(Newbie)
 No one has responded to your request to "explain"  the Hosta Wheel. As
 an oldbie, I am the one who "re-invented"  it, so I will try to
 summarize it for you.. There has been much written on it. I suggest
 for background, you read in the Hosta Journal Vol 26.2 the article
 of Sporting Clones" and in Hosta Journal Vol 27.1, the article "Using
 Artist's Palette to Classify Hosta Sports". These two articles suggest
 the use of a clock face( or wheel) to describe the color of hosta sport
 leaves by the placement of sports on the clock face. The progenitor
 (parent plant) is indicated in bold type. Sports derived from it are
 placed at 12 oclock if green, 2 oclock if white margined, 4 oclock if
 yellow margined, 6 oclock if yellow/gold, 8 oclock if green margined
 yellow centered, and at 10 oclock if green margined and white centered
 (Note: This is a simple explanation. It gets a little more complicated
 Colors which exist are based upon the various plastids in cells and
 their relative population and distribution patterns which exist in
 margin tissue or tissue in the center of the leaf (L1 and L2).
 A document, "Hosta Wheels" shows groups of related hostas in graphic
 formats. This document is being kept updated and corrected constantly
 a Committee of volunteers. We sell the document at cost to interested
 hosta gardeners. You can contact Tom Micheletti to buy a copy.
 Recent developments are that we are working on (1) a sports data base
 and index, (2)a color wheel to show 24 representative colors with code
 numbers to more accurately describe colors which exist on various
 and (3) a Web Page of sports from which the Hosta Wheel Document,
 and descriptions of sports and other miscellaneous information can be
 downloaded. The purpose of this exercise is to do research on sports
 to compile information for educational use. Stay tuned and you will
 more very soon about the Hosta Wheels on its Web Page.
 Jim Hawes