Lack of vigor?

Last year, I had a s. 'Elegans' start to grow strange. As the leaves
unfurled, they would be pale in color, have a rough texture, be much
smaller in size than the norm, and after 3 or 4 leaves emerged the vigor
would drop to zero. The hosta will not flower for the year. This year, I
am seeing it again in one of my 'Elegans,' several of my 'Gold Drop,'
and also in my 'F. Aureo-marginata.' Has anyone else had this problem?
Is it some sort of virus or disease? I am sure it has nothing to do with
crown rot. Please help! I can send a pic of it to the pixlist if it
would help.

Mike Groothuis
Niles, MI
zone 5b