Re: Lack of vigor?

Mike and all,
We have had the EXACT same problem on s. 'Elegans' - three plants last
year.  We were very stumped as to what could be causing this, (virus,
fungus, etc. or whatever) but thought that the crowns had just gotten
damaged or something.  I think I remember Kass Speerly reporting a similar
phenomenon.  We were seeing: small, thick leathery leaves, rather deformed
plant overall (like part of the crown had gone away and only a few shoots
came up), lack of vigor and just plain sad looking.  Now  I say, this
happened last year, so what happened this year?  The s. 'Elegans' did not
come back up.  They were done for.  So we went to a talk by Randy Goodwin
at the IHS meeting, "Hosta 101" where he was talking about  "the uglies."
We were convinced by the description that this is what those plants had and
were panicked.  We dug them up and destroyed them, and then sterilized the
shovel, and threw away the pots that we had put them in.  We haven't seen
any more like that.  But then later I was speculating whether these plants
indeed had the uglies, or had crown rot that I hadn't treated which led to
the demise of the whole plant.  It's hard to say.

Do you have any more pix of the disease to send to pixlist?

Stacy Holtzman
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Bloomington, Indiana Z5b