Re: US Electoral College

Hi Cindy,
RE:>>In a republican form of government, the senators and
electors should be persons of noble character who can
rise above the public passions of the moment and who
act in the best interest of the nation.
-----

I find it a bit uncanny that a convicted felon should be speaking to us about being of noble character.  The argument that the Electors are more level headed and of "noble character" may have been true 200 years ago, or even 100 years ago.  However, there is an  increased education level among the voting populace, relative to the people of 1776.  And the 49% that do vote are certainly more in tune with their government that the 51% who do not.  We're more more educated and certainly better informed because of enhanced communication.  Because our legislators receive much heavier influence from lobbyists than was ever anticipated by the founding fathers, our voice is often only heard directly through our votes.  This is how it should be for the Presidency--direct election.

Now I love Chuck Colson and the work of Prison Fellowship Ministries, don't get me wrong.  I am, however, disappointed that they would promulgate the belief that our "rulers" are of greater "noble character" than the man on the street.  Per capita, there is probably less moral character in the current elected officials than in the population at large.  How many more scandalous acts do we need to hear about before we realize that these folks are just people, subject to all manner of human frailties, like you and I?  (Maybe I should speak for myself only, since I don't know how frail you are.... LOL!)

Because they have more control over our tax dollars than we do, they have set up their own pension plan that is separate and distinct from the SSA/FICA plan that we have.  These are some pretty big pensions that we're paying for their "public servant" work.   I'm in favor of some changes.  Reworking, or even scraping, the Electoral College might be a good start to help ensure that our individual votes really count and some of these extremely biased programs could be reworked... I don't like them scraping their future incomes off the top and for many to become multi-millionaires at our expense.

It's time to re-examine the Electoral College and consider allowing the direct vote.

Hosta la Vista!

Andrew L.