Nematicides for foliar nematodes

Here's a thread from the Phoenix listserve.

Hi Bev,

I bet you are right about Clandosan and the control of foliar nematodes in

I was at a greenhouse growers meeting a few days ago and heard Ethel Dutky
speak on the life cycle and control of the white fly. White fly are a major
greenhouse pest.

Ethel Dutky co-authored the Hosta Journal article on nematodes a couple of
years ago. I asked Ethel if she had heard of anything interesting about the
control of foliar nematodes in hostas. She said he had done little research
since she had written the article. The first nematicide she mentioned was
Temic. Second she mentioned Oxamyl (Vydate L)as a foliar/drench application
was effective. I mentioned that I had heard of success with Nemacur and she
responded that Nemacur works too.

All three of these nematicides are highly systemic and are translocated
throughout the treated plant. This property and their high toxicity are the
reasons that these chemicals are restricted use pesticides. The fact that
neither of these three nematicides are labeled for use on perennials is a
major problem facing hosta growers.

I am sure that Clandosan would reduce the number of foliar nematodes but the
fact that it is not systemic means that the nematodes living inside the
hosta are not going to be controlled.

I read an interesting article written in 1995 by a professor at the
University of Florida that mentioned that the increase we are seeing in
foliar nematodes at nurseries and gardens may be because of new insect
control tactics. The use of blanket sprayings of toxic pesticides for insect
control is not being use now like it was 5  or 10 years ago. These
pesticides may have been keeping the population of foliar nematodes low and
also controlling them in the areas surrounding the growing area.

What we need is a labeled nematicide like Temic, Oxamyl or Nemacur for

Dan Nelson