Re: Nematicides for foliar nematodes

Hi Dan,
RE:>>What we need is a labeled nematicide like Temic, Oxamyl or Nemacur for

As I understand it, and I could be wrong (but as you can see from my other posts, it is not likely--Tee Hee Hee!), Nemacur 10 IS labeled for Hosta, while Nemacur 15 is NOT labeled for Hosta, at least in IA.   This I discovered while attempting to purchase a 50lb bag here in Iowa (smallest size available for granular form from Bayer Agricultural).

Because of the lateness of the season, I'm holding up on trying to make this purchase, but I will research this further to see what is the status.  This IS just one of many areas where significant improvements are needed in the EPA's efforts to ensure our environment is protected.  The regulation becomes unbearable when manufacturers must re-label everything when the basic active ingredients have not changed.  If someone has a form that we can send to our legislator's about this, I'd be glad to fill one out (Beth--are you listening?).  Even the IA DofAg (IDALS) admits that this creates excessive red tape.

BTW, I did take your advice and sit for the chemical applicators test.  Have one more to take and then I will be "certified" for the outside AND the inside of a  greenhouse.  Strange how they require both tests but I suppose it makes sense when trying to make sure folks don't injure themselves or the environment.

The Cholinesterase Inhibitors in Nemacur appear to be nothing to mess with...
For anyone curious about the risks, here is a site that describes the risks of using such organophophates like fenamiphos (the stated active ingredient in Nemacur) --http://www.ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet/tibs/cholines.htm

Andrew Lietzow, Plantsman            http://hostahaven.com
HostaHaven.com                       mailto:andrewl@hostahaven.com
1250 41st Street                     515-274-0300 voice
Des Moines, IA 50311-2516