Re: H.'Chirifu'

Chris Wilhoite wrote:

> Mr. Hawes,
>
>  I acquired seed of said plant a few years back from Ran Lydell. My experience with that seed was that not all seedlings were streaked. Cannot wait to attempt another try, seeing as how this seed is from a very valuable plant.
>

> Chris Wilhoite
> 1325 Fairbanks Drive
> Carmel, IN 46033-2333
> z5

Dear Chris,

If you got seed of Chirifu from Ran Lydell a few years back, you got approximately the same seed that I have offered. I gave Ran a piece of Chirifu and he has had seed available from his plant for some years, I assume. The only differences would be if the open-pollinated seed from Ran resulted from  natural crosses from
pollen from hostas in his garden rather  than from pollen from  hostas in my garden.....assuming that the seed was not from self pollination........................(and I would not make that general assumption.Depending upon many factors, the open pollinated seed may be from EITHER cross pollination or self pollination
processes).

Regarding your statement that NOT ALL SEEDLINGS WERE STREAKED????I do not think that there are ANY parent plants which produce 100 percent streaked progeny. I have grown blocks of 100 seedlings of Chirifu seed to learn more of the progeny characteristics. My experience has been that in the first year, about 10  percent of
streaky seedlings are similar to the parent plant. In the second year, about 20 percent are streaked. The percentage increases each year up to about 50 percent streakies. SO DON'T THROW  AWAY GREEN SEEDLINGS. Wait for them to grow on in later years.But of course, the choice is yours..

Jim