From: gw1944@vermontel.net [mailto:gw1944@vermontel.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 10:22 AM
To: hosta-open@hort.net; PHOENIX_HOSTA_ROBIN@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM
Subject: Fall Gold Hostas

Greetings All:

 Over the last 10 or 12 days we have had perhaps a couple of nights that
have hit 31 degrees. Mostly it's in the the 40s. The hostas seem to be
"going down" in slow motion. About 2/3 are gold/orange clumps of tissue
paper now. Quite attractive if you don't look too cloasely. None have
gone
down to ground yet.

The other 1/3 of my hostas are amazingly green with very few signs of
the
inevitable gold/brown edges. What I can't seem to sort out is just why
some
are now on life support while others are looking so good. Logic would
have
it that thicker leaves might still be green while tissue paper hostas
would
now be on the ground. Not true, there are too many exceptions to the
idea
of thickness and thinness of a leaf, to seem to be a reliable guage of
what
goes first.

There is also the question of the plantagenea species (our tropical
hosta
which is not exactly fond of colder climates); these leaves are still
green, if not quite as healthy looking as some of the others.I haven't
looked at all the species and collected information, but if plantagenea
is
an indicator of species staying power this time of year, then the
question
becomes moot.

Amongst the hostas that are still up and green are Mary Chastain's
hostas,
which were bred in Tennesse...no exactly a yankee state. So the
southern
factor,  if not eliminated, is at least in question.

So, I am asking you botanists out there, what factors are at work here
in
keeping some hostas looking good, while other are on the way to their
late
fall oblivion?Perhaps some hosta names have greater staying power? Or
inexpensive hostas last longer? Just what perversity may be at work?

Hebdomad  n: a week; seven days
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont