Re: New Rules

At 10:11 PM 10/4/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Paul,
>
>you are correct. I guess my line of sight is-- Why the push to register
>everything? It just seems completely illogical.

Seems to me that the real utility of official registration is as a
database..useful for hybridizers and historians who want to trace
parentage, looking for desirable traits or historical trends. So in itself
it is neither positive nor negative, but neutral.

As a consumer and gardener, it has no meaning for me what-so-ever..What
*does* have meaning, though, is the misuse of registration by the AHS. I
see no outcome here but control over what I can buy and grow.

And including some kind of "worthiness" test makes it even worse. It leaves
the development and acceptance of new varieties up to some ephemeral
criterion of what is currently considered "good" or "bad" in hostas. How
about letting me decide what I like?

Gerry