Mass planting and hosta size

At 09:09 PM 9/7/00 EDT, you wrote:
 >Thanks for telling me about the Lakeside garden. Someday I hope to see one
>that someone else is making.  I have heard of several.  It is always a
>surprise to see how much larger my plants grow in the North.
That brings up a dilemma. I have a planting under a group of dogwoods. Not
technically a mass planting, since the hostas are all different. But I do
want it to be a groundcover planting. Problem is, how to judge how close to
plant things.  After three years, nothing is as large as advertised (though
they look healthy enough), so the spaces aren't filling in. So, do I put in
stuff between the established plants? Or move the existing ones around? or
just do nothing and be patient?