Re: Mass planting and hosta size

Hi Gerry,
I have some plantings that might qualify as 'drifts,'
but hardly mass plantings. (3 to 6 of the same plants.)
But I also have  beds of mixed hosta that will someday, a few years from now,
'carpet' the areas. To fill in the bare spots, I've planted some low ground
covers that will remain and grow well beneath the hostas. I've used
lamium, woodruff, ivy, ajuga, 'Running Tapestry' tiarella, etc. When my
hostas get to mature size, I'll re-
evaluate the beds and remove some of the small plants.
In my mixed beds, I have interplanted ferns, tovara, trycirtis, hellebores,
mounding tiarellas, and pulmonaria as well. (Perhaps 20 of these plants in
with 50 hosta.)
I may have to remove some of these in years ahead, but right now, the beds
look full and have nice variety.