hydrangea macrophylla - HELP

  • Subject: hydrangea macrophylla - HELP
  • From: "Helen" <msbucky@home.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:04:50 -0400

Not a hosta question but I'm hoping one of you can help.
I got a cutting of a beautiful variegated h. macrophylla last year and lost it over the winter outside, even though it was mulched and planted against a fence.  This year I received additional slips in August - three are now well rooted and a decent size (about 6").  They are presently still under the lights.  I would like at least one to survive...
So, the question is,
1. can they be kept indoors through the winter growing or do they absolutely require a dormant period?
2. If dormancy is required, would an unheated garage be best or perhaps the fridge?
I will likely plant one cutting out in the garden, but even with protection, I have my doubts... I am in zone 6 but last winter was quite severe.