From: John Lanier <jlanier@yancey.main.nc.us>
To: <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Sent: Friday, September 03, 1999 10:23 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: [Fwd: (no subject)]

Daniel Nelson wrote:

> Since Hosta-open is a little quiet today I though I might try to get a
> debate going between Evolutionist and Creationist.

> Or maybe a comment from someone who's a little of both.
>
> Dan Nelson

That would be me, Dan. There's no doubt in my mind, at all, that God
Almighty created this beautiful world and everything in it including my
beautiful wife, our wonderful little Border Collie, Clia, our devilish
Abbysinnian Cat, O'Hura, and our fabulous hosta collection, to say
nothing of allowing and enabling me to pursue my Tissue Culture
operations so that many kind people who have entrusted their plants to
me can get lots more of them. For the life of me I can't see that this
clashes in any way with the evolutionist outlook on things. If somebody,
surely more knowledgable than I, can point out the conflicts I would be
most appreciative. My sweet wife, Laura, is a Bible scholar, and she and
I are in agreement on this!  We feel doubly blessed that we are
fortunate enough to live in what must surely be the most beautiful spot
on the earth.  Life is indeed good, and I enjoy living it so much. I
have no trouble at all thanking God every day for my good fortune. I'm
pretty talented in many ways, and fairly well educated in the sciences,
but there's just no way I could make even the most ordinary hosta from
the soil I have here in the mountains. How can there be any doubt in
anyone's mind??  That what you wanted Dan??

John Lanier
Burnsville, NC