Re: geranium art question

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] geranium art question
  • From: "Cynthia S. Lohry" <Hedgehug@AOL.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 23:20:22 EST

Laurie,

The Pelargoniums of Southern Africa are all illustrated with watercolors by
Ellaphie Ward-Hilhorst, if you are looking for species.  Sweets Geraniaceae
also has some wonderful watercolors, species and other.  And at a lecture,
Michael Vassar said that he had photographed someone's collection of old
pelargonium & geranium illustrations so that there was a record of them.

There is a botanical artist/photographer in the South Bay branch that does
wonderful work, and I purchased one of her watercolors of an angel
pelargonium at the South Bay show and sale a couple years ago.  She mentioned
that she collected old books and magazines for the botanical illustrations.
Email me privately if you want me to try to get you in contact with her.

GATW has not had a lot of artwork in it, having relied on photographs
instead.  It was recently suggested that we run some covers with botanical
paintings and drawings rather than photographs.  If you would be interested
in submitting some of your work for consideration, please let me know.

Personally, I would be interested in an article on the subject as well.  What
do you think?

Cynthia Lohry