Re: GATW arrived

  • Subject: Re: GATW arrived
  • From: "Maria C. Boza" mcboza@earthlink.net
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:11:12 -0700

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hi, All,<br>
Donn's photos are stunning--as usual.&nbsp; I thought the humor in the
article might make species seem more approachable for those who've been
a bit skittish about them.&nbsp; I would love to see more articles about
species in the GATW.&nbsp; My very handy CD-ROM set of GATW from 1953
through 2003 saved me from killing a species (P. fulgidum) that I
didn't know needed to go dormant.&nbsp; At least, I hope I caught it in time.<br>
I think perhaps a more useful map would focus more closely on southern
Africa, but then the author would have to be more precise about where a
species came from.&nbsp; A lot of us in the USA don't know where "Pofadder,
south of Richtersveldt" is.&nbsp; (The description of the provenance of one<i>
</i>P. xerophyton in the Geraniaceae catalog.)&nbsp; It's fun to read such
descriptions, but if I were writing an article about such a plant, I
would hate to have to highlight the location on a map!&nbsp; =:0 =:0<br>
Embracing my limitations,<br>
Maria Boza<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:hedgehug@AOL.COM";>hedgehug@AOL.COM</a> wrote:<br>
 cite="mid200507272053.1dXWEr1ts3Nl34g0@mx-pigeons.atl.sa.earthlink.net">
  <pre wrap="">Gwen,

Thanks!  Did you enjoy the article about P. punctatum?  I thought the
photos by Donn Reiners were just stunning, particularly the one with it
in flower.  It looked like a halo of flowers with that black
background!

Do you think the little map of where the plant is from was useful?  I'm
not sure if we should continue to put them in ...

I first saw the paperclay pins shaped like geranium leaves at the Los
Angeles show and sale, and the person wearing it was Andrea, who wrote
the article for GATW.  The detail you get out of the paperclay is just
amazing.  Has anyone in your group worked with it?

Cindi

  </pre>