Re: Stellars

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Stellars
  • From: Claire Peplowski <ECPep@AOL.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:17:59 EDT

In a message dated 6/10/02 11:59:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Laurie@LAEOM.COM writes:

<< does anyone else know where else I can get seed of the more unusual types,
 such as Regals and Angels?  I tend to overwinter many of my plants and also
 keep them as houseplants, and so am not following the typical "bedding
 plant" schedule of seed starting.  Thanks in advance.  :) >>

I also overwinter my plants keeping those that do well under glass and those
I like.  I think you might try some of the nurseries that grow and sell
plants that are near to you.  Logee's Greenhouse and Blue Meadow are two that
carry plants that are cutting grown.  I have list somewhere of others in New
England, none with huge lists but with growing plants to purchase.  I have
not grown from seed so someone else can speak here, I think what you want is
probably vegetatively reproduced and cuttings are needed.

The Holt firm in Canada which I found now ships to the US ( kindly informed
by list members here) has a large selection and might be an answer for you.
Unless you are interested in new cultivars, seed will not produce the parent
plant as is true in most hybrids.

I keep only very small plants and keep them free from rain all summer by
placing them under the roof overhang.  I am mentioning this as you are in a
northern climate as I and the management of pelargoniums is different than
the drier southern climates.

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, NY